Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Split Second.

Today I had the pleasure of sitting in the grass and enjoying the beautiful, warm fall day as I enjoyed my little sisters soccer game. As I watched the players jog up and down the field and sweat endlessly, I was surrounded by noisy cars passing by and the loud cheering of proud parents. About halfway through the game, I heard an echoing screech, followed by a loud BOOM! When I turned around, I saw smoke rising from where the sounds came from, which was about 200 meters away. Instinctively, I got up and ran to the scene as quickly as I could. As it turns out, it was a mild fender-bender, and no one was even remotely hurt. A woman in a silver convertible turned left in front of a big Time Warner cable van. The van missed fatally injuring the woman by just 2-3 feet, barely denting her rear bumper.

This whole scenario left me thinking that if the circumstances had been just slightly different, I would have been running towards the scene of a fatal car accident. It made me think that in a split second, life as we know it can change so drastically. One wrong decision could dramatically alter someones life. Or even worse .... take it away entirely. I know you've heard this story before, "live every day like it's your last." But really, today it hit home for me. Today unexpectedly brought about a new perspective on life. Cherish the moments you are given, because not everyone is so fortunate. And to the ones you love, don't just tell them that you love them- show them.

Don't let a moment slip away.

-Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment