Thursday, June 24, 2010

4 days 'til training.

As of today, I have 4 days until I head up to Santa Barbara, CA for 5-days of team bonding/strengthening time. In 11 days, I will be in Uganda! I've been looking at maps and globes my whole life, but Africa has always just seemed like a far-off, distant land that I would never come in contact with. Knowing that I will be there in just 11 days is still so surreal to me. I am getting extremely excited though. Today, I went shopping for the mandatory long skirts. I found 5 ones that I liked. $20 for 5 skirts, not too bad!

As many of you may know, I have been a little short on funds. Yesterday alone, I was able to raise about $500 in committed donations. Meaning I haven't recieved the donations yet, but if everyone stays true to their word, that's how much I will have. Yesterday, before church, my college-aged friend, Christina called me and asked me to meet her so she could turn in her donation. When I met her, she pulled out $100 in cash. I was blown away that a young college student as her self could be selfless enough to give her hard-earned money to my cause. I was so grateful. I asked her how she could do that and she said that to prepare for her own upcoming missions trip to Honduras, she's been reading a book about how you shouldn't store up your treasures on Earth and you shouldn't be greedy with possessions, such as money. This really got me thinking about how greedy we all are by nature. I try to be selfless, we all do, but in the end it always ends up that I put my own needs before everyone else's. I want this to change. Recently, everyone I'm going to Africa with was asked to choose a goal. And now this is mine. I want to strive to put other's before myself. I want to share with people. I want to be quick to give up my own possessions to those who need them more.

Yesterday after meeting with Christina, I headed off to youth group at Ventura Missionary church. I hadn't been for a few weeks, so I was so excited to have some free time to go spend in fellowship there. The service/meassage was incredible and it was awesome to just be able to get right with God. We worshipped and took communion. During worship, I got on my knees to pray for my funding on my Africa trip. I surrendered everything I had been holding inside of me to the King. I felt a surge of relief wash over me and I felt immediately comforted. When church was over, Josh (the youth pastor at VMC) invited me up to be prayed for. We also had Katrina, who will be travelling to Cambodia, come up as well. Everyone came up and laid hands over us and just prayed for everything we will be faced with on our journeys. It was great to feel so cared for. I know God will be with both of us as we depart. When church was over, Josh, knowing I still had some money to raise, took an unexpected offering for me. I didn't think much would come from it, because many people had already left, but when Josh gave me all he had collected, I went to my car and realized that I had recieved almost $250 from the youth group alone. A bunch of teenagers! (♥) It is incredible to see the things God can do through the people you'd least expect it from! So thanks for everything, VMC. I love you all :)

As an update, I still need about $400 more in order to participate on this trip. If you'd like to help, you can reach me on here, on facebook, on my cellphone, or through e-mail (daddysgirlheaven@yahoo.com) Thanks so much for reading, God bless :)

In Christ,
Heaven

1 comment:

  1. Heaven, GREAT WORK!!!! I'm really really proud of all you're doing this week. I believe that God is that big and that He'll provide. Keep on keepin' on girl. I'll call you tomorrow to check in!

    Bree

    ReplyDelete